Saint Michael the Archangel in pre-Reformation England, and implications for the ‘butterfly cross’ graffito

Saint Michael the Archangel in pre-Reformation England, and implications for the ‘butterfly cross’ graffito

Saint Michael the Archangel in pre-Reformation England, and implications for the ‘butterfly cross’ graffito The mark commonly known as the butterfly cross is just one of the many perplexing symbols left on historic stone and woodwork by past generations. In form it tends to resemble a bow-tie shape, simply cut with two upright ends and…

St Mary’s, Charminster, Dorset

St Mary’s, Charminster, Dorset

St Mary’s, Charminster, Dorset St Mary’s church at Charminster is an 11th century church, extended and improved in the 14th and 16th centuries by the local Trenchard family. The monogram of Thomas Trenchard made up of spirally intertwined Ts is visible in carvings and plaques throughout the church interior and exterior. The are two compass…

St Nicholas, Studland, Dorset

St Nicholas, Studland, Dorset

St Nicholas, Studland, Dorset The church of St Nicholas in Studland in the Isle of Purbeck in Dorset is a simple Norman structure. Built in the 11th century on the base of an earlier Saxon structure, it consists of a nave, chancel and sanctuary. The round arches are simply carved with none of the dog tooth…

Skull and Crossbones Hole, Thrupp, Nr Stroud, Gloucestershire

Skull and Crossbones Hole, Thrupp, Nr Stroud, Gloucestershire

Skull and Crossbones Hole, Thrupp, Nr Stroud, Gloucestershire Skull and Crossbones Hole in Mackhouse Wood Quarry, Thrupp, near Stroud was located earlier this year by members of the Gloucestershire Speleological Society. An alternative name is Mackhouse Wood no 2. ” template=”/var/sites/r/rakinglight.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/ngglegacy/view/gallery-caption.php” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″] The mine contains a large slab of stone with a…

St Andrews Church, Great Yeldham, Essex

St Andrews Church, Great Yeldham, Essex

St Andrews Church, Great Yeldham, Essex St Andrews church in Great Yeldham, Essex appears in Violet Pritchard’s English Medieval Graffiti. Unfortunately, the three intertwined fish she describes cannot be seen. All the columns and piers have been whitewashed, so this may be hiding the design. A compass drawn quatrefoil is clearly visible on one of…

All Saints, Rickling, Essex

All Saints, Rickling, Essex

All Saints, Rickling, Essex All Saints Church, Rickling is an interesting church in more ways than one. For a start, the nave and the chancel are on slightly different alignments, which indicates an earlier plan than the current 14th Century one. The graffiti, also has some unique elements including compass circles of hitherto unseen design…

West Ogwell Church, Devon

West Ogwell Church, Devon

West Ogwell Church, Devon West Ogwell Church is a 13th century church, now redundant and in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It has a simple, whitewashed interior with box pews. The only visible graffiti is on a single limestone block beside the door. There are some Marian marks, initials, dot patterns and hash…

Holy Cross, Felsted, Essex

Holy Cross, Felsted, Essex

Holy Cross, Felsted, Essex Holy Cross is a wide, light-filled church built in the 12th century with additions and alterations in the 14th and 16th centuries. There have been renovations in the 19th and 20th centuries. These later renovations have removed some of the graffiti, but there is still a substantial amount, especially on the…

May Miscellany

May Miscellany

May Miscellany This is the first of a series of monthly posts where we feature items of interest from a variety of sites and some links we’ve come across during the month. Even if you only have a single photo from a site, do send it in with details of where it was taken, so…

St Mary’s, Kingskerwell, Devon

St Mary’s, Kingskerwell, Devon

St Mary’s, Kingskwerwell, Devon   St Mary’s parish church in Kingskerswell was built in the 14th century with additions in the 15th century and is on the site of an earlier chapel.  There are only a few examples of graffiti in the church. They are to be found on the effigies of Sir John Dinham and…

Holy Trinity, Burrington, Somerset

Holy Trinity, Burrington, Somerset

Holy Trinity, Burrington, Somerset Holy Trinity Church, Burrington, Somerset is a Grade 1 Listed Building dating from the 13th century. The tower, which dates from 1250 to 1320, is the oldest part of the current building and is believed to have been built on the site of an earlier church. The church was restored in…

St Mary the Virgin, Elsenham, Essex

St Mary the Virgin, Elsenham, Essex

St Mary the Virgin, Elsenham, Essex St Mary the Virgin is a charming church, close to Stansted Airport, out of the village of Elsenham and up a single-track lane. Pevsner praises its Norman windows and doorway. It was visited by Violet Pritchard, who noted some text with a face carved into the capital letter. There…

St Mary’s Church, Wolborough, Devon

St Mary’s Church, Wolborough, Devon

  St Mary’s Church, Wolborough, Devon St Mary’s, Wolborough dates from the 15th century, although the west tower is earlier. Contents include an ornate screen of circa 1518 and a Norman font. The church stands on a hill, commanding a view of the Teign estuary. There is little graffiti in the church. It consists of a…

St Saviour, Dartmouth, Devon

St Saviour, Dartmouth, Devon

St Saviour’s Church, Dartmouth, Devon St. Saviour’s was dedicated as a Chapel of Ease in 1372, but it may be earlier in date. The church was enlarged in the late 14th/early 15th century and has been repaired and refurbished several times since. It is described as having one of the best interiors in Devon. Features…

St Blaise, Haccombe, Devon

St Blaise, Haccombe, Devon

St Blaise, Haccombe, Devon Haccombe parish church of St. Blaise, dedicated by Stephen de Haccombe, whose tomb lies here, was built in 1233, probably as a household chapel. Enlarged in the early English style in 1328, it contains a freestone screen, an octagonal font, a three-pointed sedilia, a 19th century chancel screen, tiles bearing coats…

St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol

St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol

St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol St Mary Redcliffe is an Anglican parish church in Redcliffe, Bristol, and is one of the largest parish churches in England. The church was constructed from the 12th to the 15th centuries, and has been a place of Christian worship for over 900 years. The church is renowned for its beautiful…

St Mary the Virgin, Henbury, Bristol

St Mary the Virgin, Henbury, Bristol

St Mary the Virgin, Henbury, Bristol St Mary the Virgin is a Church of England parish church in Henbury, Bristol. Construction of the present building took place in the 13th century with later restoration work carried out in the 19th century by the Gothic revival architects Thomas Rickman and George Edward Street. The church has…

Exeter Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire

Exeter Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire

Exeter Street, Salisbury, Wiltshire How do you photograph graffiti from a long-demolished building? In the case of the stones from the Old Sarum cathedral and castle site (demolished in the 13th century) you can go to Exeter St in Salisbury and find them making up part of the cathedral precinct wall. Now it’s not normally advisable…

The Temple Church, London

The Temple Church, London

The Temple Church, London It can be hard being a graffiti hunter in London. There have been three waves of destruction visited upon the medieval buildings of the City of London. There was the Great Fire of 1666, which destroyed so much of the old structure of the city. Then there were the Georgians and…

St Mary Church, Chickney, Essex

St Mary Church, Chickney, Essex

St Mary Church, Chickney, Essex The church of St Mary in Chickney, Essex is a Churches Conservation Trust church you approach down a single track road off the B1051. There is a small parking bay outside the churchyard. The church goes back to Saxon times with additions through the years and major restoration in the…