St Mary Magdalene, Stockbury, Kent

St Mary Magdalene, Stockbury, Kent

St Mary Magdalene, Stockbury, Kent St Mary Magdalene is a relatively small church built alongside the remains of a Norman motte and bailey castle, which overlooks the Stockbury Valley and Dean’s Bottom, a smaller valley that runs into it. The building originates from the late 12th century with 13th and 15th century additions; and was…

Event: Book Launch – Magical House Protection – The Archaeology of Counter-Witchcraft

Event: Book Launch – Magical House Protection – The Archaeology of Counter-Witchcraft

Brian Hoggard’s book Magical House Protection – The Archaeology of Counter-Witchcraft will be launched in Pershore, Worcestershire on Sunday 30th June. Join Brian and other enthusiasts at St Andrew’s Parish Centre. Church Walk, Pershore, WR10 1DT. Every attendee will receive a limited edition numbered enamel badge of the Apotropaios logo and the hard cover first…

St Mary, Kenardington, Kent

St Mary, Kenardington, Kent

The Porch of St Mary Kenardington Alan Anstee of the Kent Medieval Graffiti Survey pays a visit to an old haunt and describes the fascinating porch of St Mary’s church in Kenardington, Kent. St Mary, Kenardington is a small church with medieval origins near Ashford in Kent. Kenardington is a scattered hamlet consisting of clusters…

Saint Michael the Archangel in pre-Reformation England, and implications for the ‘butterfly cross’ graffito

Saint Michael the Archangel in pre-Reformation England, and implications for the ‘butterfly cross’ graffito

Saint Michael the Archangel in pre-Reformation England, and implications for the ‘butterfly cross’ graffito The mark commonly known as the butterfly cross is just one of the many perplexing symbols left on historic stone and woodwork by past generations. In form it tends to resemble a bow-tie shape, simply cut with two upright ends and…

Skull and Crossbones Hole, Thrupp, Nr Stroud, Gloucestershire

Skull and Crossbones Hole, Thrupp, Nr Stroud, Gloucestershire

Skull and Crossbones Hole, Thrupp, Nr Stroud, Gloucestershire Skull and Crossbones Hole in Mackhouse Wood Quarry, Thrupp, near Stroud was located earlier this year by members of the Gloucestershire Speleological Society. An alternative name is Mackhouse Wood no 2. ” template=”/var/sites/r/rakinglight.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/ngglegacy/view/gallery-caption.php” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″] The mine contains a large slab of stone with a…

Holy Trinity, Burrington, Somerset

Holy Trinity, Burrington, Somerset

Holy Trinity, Burrington, Somerset Holy Trinity Church, Burrington, Somerset is a Grade 1 Listed Building dating from the 13th century. The tower, which dates from 1250 to 1320, is the oldest part of the current building and is believed to have been built on the site of an earlier church. The church was restored in…

St Mary the Virgin, Elsenham, Essex

St Mary the Virgin, Elsenham, Essex

St Mary the Virgin, Elsenham, Essex St Mary the Virgin is a charming church, close to Stansted Airport, out of the village of Elsenham and up a single-track lane. Pevsner praises its Norman windows and doorway. It was visited by Violet Pritchard, who noted some text with a face carved into the capital letter. There…

St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol

St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol

St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol St Mary Redcliffe is an Anglican parish church in Redcliffe, Bristol, and is one of the largest parish churches in England. The church was constructed from the 12th to the 15th centuries, and has been a place of Christian worship for over 900 years. The church is renowned for its beautiful…

St Mary the Virgin, Henbury, Bristol

St Mary the Virgin, Henbury, Bristol

St Mary the Virgin, Henbury, Bristol St Mary the Virgin is a Church of England parish church in Henbury, Bristol. Construction of the present building took place in the 13th century with later restoration work carried out in the 19th century by the Gothic revival architects Thomas Rickman and George Edward Street. The church has…

Chateau de l’Herm, Dordogne

Chateau de l’Herm, Dordogne

Chateau de l’Herm Château de l’Herm is a castle in the commune of Rouffignac-Saint-Cernin-de-Reilhac in the Dordogne region of France. It was built between 1500 and 1520 by Jean de Calvimont, an ambassador of Frances I to Spain. The château was later abandoned, after the family left it in 1605. With the exception of the…