St Mary, Stratford-St-Mary, Suffolk


The parish of Stratford-St-Mary is in Suffolk, but not by much. Its border is the county border with Essex. The church of St Mary has origins going back to the 14th century with additions in the 15th and 16th centuries. There was considerable restoration to the church fabric in the 19th century, which probably accounts for how little graffiti is to be found.

The graffiti is to be found in two places, by the tower door, where it is mostly names, initials and dates, and at the door between the chancel and the south chapel. There is one compass drawn circle, a faint possible pentagram, a merchant’s mark and a ladder in terms of symbols. There is one date of 1609.

Report by Anthea Hawdon.

St Mary’s
Church Road

The church is usually open in daylight hours.

Search terms: concentric circles, compass drawn designs, pentagram,names and initials, 1659, 1600s, 1650s, ladder, dot patterns, grid pattern