St Mary and St John, Hinxton, Cambridgeshire

The church of St Mary and St John dates back to the 12th century. The south chapel, which holds most of the graffiti, dates mostly to the 14th century.

Unusually for churches, the most common symbol in St Mary and St John is not initials and names but the pentagram. There are several in around the same area.

Other protective marks include compass circles, Marian marks, ladders and a merel of the nine men’s morris type located over three metres high in the arch between the south chapel and the chancel.

There are several examples of script and what appears to be a fish, in skeleton form.

The rest of the graffiti is made up of names, initials and dates from the 18th and 19th centuries.

Report by Anthea Hawdon

St Mary and St John
Church Green
Saffron Waldon

The church is usually open during daylight hours.

Search terms: JM, RA, Pentagrams,Pentagram, BC, R, Pentagram, S, GC, script, Malton, ins, fish, ladder, RT, HR, IR, 1722, Grid, other marks, compass circle, Marian mark M, R8R, other marks, RF, IP, IM, Merel, 9 Men’s Morris, Compass circle, eight arm cross, TB, Beith, 1871, 1800s, 1870s, 1700s, 1720s