St John the Baptist, Glastonbury, Somerset

The church of St John the Baptist in Glastonbury, Somerset dates back to the 15th century in its current building, but there has been a church on the site back to 950 CE.  It was much restored in 1856 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, which is presumably why there is no graffiti to be found on the church building itself.

The only graffiti to be found are initials and dates on the tomb of John Camel, who died in 1487. The dates are mostly late 18th century.

The parish chest has no graffiti but does have some interesting carved daisy wheels and whorls.

Report by Anthea Hawdon.

St John’s Church
High Street


Search terms: Chest, spiral, whirl, hexafoil, daisy wheel, WD, IC, 1717, AD, TD, TD, 1795, WGH, JB IA, TF, TW, FP, 1787, IA, IK, N, 1774, W,WM, MM, IV,IR, SW, WP, IB, HW, WB, IA, 1700s, 1780s, 1770s, 1790s