St Andrew’s, Buckland, Hertfordshire

The nave and chancel of this Churches Conservation Trust church date to 1348. The tower, south aisle, porch and south door are from the 1400s.

There is a bird of unidentified species, several harps and a heraldic shield.

Notable among the protective marks is a concentric circle made up of twenty circles. There are compass circles and daisy wheels, Marian marks, a pentagram and a fox and geese merel. There is also a shape like a union jack rather than a merel.

The rest consist of dot patterns and initials. The dates are mostly 17th and 18th century.

Photos by Patrick Carey.

Rectory Close
Buntingford
Hertfordshire
SG9 0PT
 
The church is open daily from 11am to 4pm
 

Search Terms: Daisy wheel (compass drawn), Concentric circles (compass drawn), other marks, Tourist graffiti, Sun cross, other marks, TAH, Unidentified mark, Memorial, THC, 1712, chevrons, BR, W, W, memorials, Circle (hand drawn), W, E(reversed), dot patterns, IS, Pentagram(incomplete), other marks, 1952, 1950s, 1900s, CI, X, A, Merel,Cross hatching, Shield, harp, other marks, WH, NR, 1736, 1730s, 1700s, 1710s, Fox and geese merel, TC, CE, WC, PN, E, IH, EW, 173, IA, MT, TI, Conjoined circles (compass drawn), cross, IL, EW, 1663, CI, GS 1673, IS, RC, IC, W, HW, TX, IS(reversed), Daisy wheel (compass drawn), circle (compass drawn), A, other marks, Marian mark, W, 1704, Bird, circle (compass drawn), Marian mark, M, other marks, H, W, Smith, Pentagrams, Cross, triangle, Union Jack,