All Saints, Vange, Essex
The earliest parts of the nave of All Saints Church in Vange were built in the 12th Century, as was the font. The rest of the church was completed before the end of the 15th century. It is now in the charge of the Churches Conservation Trust.
The font, with its zigzag design is where the only visible graffiti is to be found. This consists of initials and letters carved into the lead lining of the font. Three sets (HP, PI, ?M) are done in wrigglework a technique for decorating pewter (and other metalwork) which was fashionable between 1660 and 1730. This may give a potential date range for the graffiti.
The church should be open during daylight hours, but check the website for Covid arrangements.
Search terms: font, HP, PI, ?M, wrigglework, RF, X, historic graffiti